When you and your partner got married, you looked forward to a lifetime of happiness together. That’s why the tension you’ve been feeling between the two of you has taken you by surprise. You find yourself wondering if your marriage is headed for a divorce.
Sometimes, couples drift apart, regardless of how much they care about each other. Other times, a specific incident can drive a wedge between the two of you that you just cannot seem to get past.
Signs that you are heading for divorce
These signs often indicate that a divorce is on the horizon:
- There’s unhappiness or discontent. You used to look forward to spending time together, but that has changed over the last few years.
- There are feelings of resentment that have crept up on you. Everyone experiences moments when we resent something our spouse does. However, if you constantly feel that way, you may find yourself contemplating divorce.
- There’s an inability to hold a civil conversation without the two of you having an argument. No matter how much you try, the two of you always end up having a shouting match.
- You find yourself avoiding your partner as much as possible. For example, you know when your partner will be home, so you lock yourself in your office because he knows not to disturb you there.
- You no longer share intimate moments. Instead, the two of you live like roommates in separate bedrooms.
- Your family and friends are telling you to leave your marriage because they are concerned that your partner is mistreating you.
Even if the signs are pointing toward divorce, the journey is a difficult one. If you recognize yourself and your partner on this list, it’s time to consider filing for a divorce. There are many steps to the process and you would do well to seek assistance.